Sunday, October 21, 2012

October Verse A Day Challenge: Day 21


I love today's theme.  "Calm."  I love that it was today's theme, because God was really speaking to me on the topic of peace and trust this morning in church.  Someone read this story, and it really got my attention.

"14 The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat. 15 “Be careful,” Jesus warned them. “Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod.”
 16 They discussed this with one another and said, “It is because we have no bread.”
17 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: “Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18 Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don’t you remember? 19 When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”
“Twelve,” they replied.
 20 “And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”
They answered, “Seven.”
 21 He said to them, “Do you still not understand?” " - Mark 8:14-21 (NIV)

This story takes place right after Jesus miraculously feeds 4,000 people.  The disciples are in their boat, and they've forgotten to bring enough food.  I don't think this story is really about them forgetting their lunch, but part that hit me was when Jesus asks them how many baskets of leftovers they picked up after His miraculous meals.  Did the Lord only provide "just enough?"  No!  He provided abundantly more than was required.  What does this have to do with "calm?"  I guess the Lord was just showing me that I need to chill out and trust Him, because He's going to take care of things.  We can have peace because of that promise.  Jesus is the Prince of Peace.  And just for fun, here's another story about calm for you. 

"35 That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” 36 Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37 A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38 Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
 39 He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
 40 He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?”
 41 They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”" - Mark 4:35-41 (NIV)

Jesus spoke and there was instant calm.  Isn't that awesome? 

So there.  You get a lot of verses and thoughts from me today.  It was a good Sunday.  I visited my best friends church today, and it was a good spiritual change of pace.  So yeah, I was feeling extra wordy.  And I'm not sorry.  ;)

Niki

No comments: