Saturday, October 6, 2012

Floral Dress to Skirt Refashion

I'm super excited to share my lastest refashion with you!  It's one of my favorites to date, and I can't wait to wear it tomorrow! 
 

 
I started out with this dress that I thrifted years ago when I needed something for a party. I wore it once, maybe twice, then it stayed at the back of the closet. Even though it fits me now, and it's a perfectly good dress, it just didn't love the way it looked on me. Empire waists aren't my most flattering look, unfortunately. However, I still loved the floral sheer fabric.


So out came the scissors. I chopped off the top of the dress under the waistband. I realized that the two layers of the dress were not the same width, which would have made it tricky to create a waistband, so I decided to fully seperate them. I had to cut around the pesky side zipper to take it out, but it all worked out in the end. :)

 
I started by making the inner lining into a sort of slip. I trimmed off the top where I had cut out the zipper.


Sheers can be tricky to work with, especially if you don't have a serger, but I just sewed a tiny hem around the top of the slip, then folded that over again  to make a casing for the elastic.  I used a thin elastic, probably 3/8" or so.  That's what I had on hand.  I threaded the elastic through the tunnel I had made, and sewed up the ends.  Then I finished sewing the casing closed.


For the overskirt, I had to close up the side seam where I had removed the zipper.


Then I repeated the same steps process as for the slip to make a casing for my elastic.  For the overskirt, I used a wider elastic.  I think it was 1" wide.  I didn't have to hem the bottom of either skirt, because I left the original hem intact.  That was nice.  :)


There you go.  A slip, a skirt and a sash all from one dress!  For the sash, I just cut the ties off the dress and sewed them together.  I can tie it in a bow in the back, on the side or even in my hair.  :)


 
I love, love, love the way this turned out!  It's floral and feminine, and the darker colors are perfect for fall!  Plus, I adore the way the sheer fabric drapes and swishes.   I think I may be a little too excited about this refashion.  I'll try to do an outfit post tomorrow when I wear it to church.  :)

Niki

No comments: