I'm super excited to share my lastest refashion with you! It's one of my favorites to date, and I can't wait to wear it tomorrow!
So out came the scissors. I chopped off the top of the dress under the waistband. I realized that the two layers of the dress were not the same width, which would have made it tricky to create a waistband, so I decided to fully seperate them. I had to cut around the pesky side zipper to take it out, but it all worked out in the end. :)
Sheers can be tricky to work with, especially if you don't have a serger, but I just sewed a tiny hem around the top of the slip, then folded that over again to make a casing for the elastic. I used a thin elastic, probably 3/8" or so. That's what I had on hand. I threaded the elastic through the tunnel I had made, and sewed up the ends. Then I finished sewing the casing closed.
For the overskirt, I had to close up the side seam where I had removed the zipper.
Then I repeated the same steps process as for the slip to make a casing for my elastic. For the overskirt, I used a wider elastic. I think it was 1" wide. I didn't have to hem the bottom of either skirt, because I left the original hem intact. That was nice. :)
There you go. A slip, a skirt and a sash all from one dress! For the sash, I just cut the ties off the dress and sewed them together. I can tie it in a bow in the back, on the side or even in my hair. :)