Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sheer Blouse Refashion


 This summer, I was really liking the sheer shirt trend, so when I saw this lime-green sheer top at a thrift store for $3, I figured I should buy it.  The problem?  It was probably an XXL.  At the smallest.  But it had potential.  So I brought it home and it sat in my projects pile for a while.  Not gonna lie, I was slightly intimidated by it.  Sheer fabrics can be *very* tricky to work with.  Fortunately, I found some wonderful tips here

My first step was to cut off the sleeves (but save them for later!).  I used another shirt to try to figure out how wide to make the sheer shirt.  Then I hemmed around the sleeves.  You'll want to then sew pretty much straight down from there to take in the sides.  I have yet to figure out the perfect method to take in a shirt. 
Once you've sewn up the sides and hemmed the arm holes, try it on and decide where you want the bottom hemline to fall.  I decided I wanted to go for a high-low hemline, so I cut the bottom off at an angle.  The picture was of my first cut, I later cut the angle a little sharper to get my desired result.
Finally, I cut strips from the sleeves to make a little tie thingy for the neck.  And I didn't take any pictures of that step.  Sorry.  Once I get into a project, I have a hard time stopping to take pictures.  :)
 
Ta-dah!  I am excited to find ways to wear this before summer is over. 
 
What do you think of how it turned out?
 
Niki

No comments: